The Entrepreneur Program seeks to attract experienced persons that will own and actively manage businesses in Canada that will contribute to the economy and create jobs. Entrepreneurs must demonstrate business experience, a minimum net worth of CDN $300,000 and are subject to conditions upon arrival in Canada.
Entrepreneurs must have at least two years business experience immediately before making an application to CIC. They must evidence their ability to:
- control and manage a percentage of equity in a qualifying business equal to or grater than 33%
- develop and maintain the management of a qualifying business
- create at least one full time position within that qualifying business for one or more Canadian Citizens (not including family members)
Entrepreneurs are also required to accomplish the above within 3 years of gaining permanent resident status in Canada and must be able to evidence this for a period of at least one year.
The Entrepreneurs Program is also a points tested visa and requires a pass mark of 35 out of 100 points and is assessed on six main factors including age, education, business experience, language ability and adaptability.
If you believe you have the required funds and business experience, please contact us for a full assessment.
Note: CIC has temporarily stopped accepting applications for the federal entrepreneur program. Only applications received before July 1, 2011, will be processed. This suspension will continue until further notice.
The Self-Employed Persons Program seeks to attract applicants who intend and are able to become self-employed in Canada. Self-employed persons must have either:
- relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or
- experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
You must have at least two years business experience immediately before making an application to CIC. You must evidence your ability to:
- Create a business that focuses on befitting the cultural and leisure/athletic sector in Canada
- create at least one full time position for yourself in that business
- Purchase, manage and maintain a farm in Canada
Although you do not need to evidence net assets in order to obtain this visa, you should be able to evidence enough funds to support yourself and family upon your arrival in Canada.
This program is also a points tested and requires a pass mark of 35 out of 100 points and is assessed on six main factors including age, education, business experience, language ability and adaptability.